Thursday, July 9, 2009

THE BUZZCOCKS: NY PALLADIUM, NEW YORK, NY 12.1.79 FM BROADCAST



Back before the Internet superhighway existed for the purposes of acquiring far out punk rock contraband, there was a different route that had it's origins in Lower Manhattan. The New York Palladium existed on West 14th Street and served as the venue where many notable artists (The Clash, The Fall, The Undertones, Rockpile) would play their first shows in Gotham. More often that not, performances at the Palladium would be recorded and broadcasted for the public's aural consumption. These recordings also served as great and consistent fodder for the punk rock vinyl bootleggers looking to line their pockets with capital and to satisfy the public's desire for live material from their favorite bands.

This Buzzcocks Palladium gig is a great example of a classic band performing their best songs while in their absolute prime. The band is marred by a few technical setbacks, but overall this one is certainly having in your collection. It ranks as one of the best live Buzzcocks bootlegs in circulation. The recording was taped off the radio in early 1980 when this was originally broadcast. The mix is well balanced and overall this tape sounds excellent.

I also really wanted to post this tape because of simply how cool it looks.

5 comments:

  1. Chris, your buddy William just turned me on to your blog via the Dagboard. It's off to blazing start, and I'm looking forward to more. Thanks for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes! He told me that he posted a link on the Dag Nasty board. I'm glad that you are enjoying my work here. There's going to be a GREAT DEAL more... I've only been doing the blog for 3 days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. songs from this got booted on that "gifts of love" 7" on special fanclub recs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was there . A friend visiting from CT ( I was living on the North Fork of Long Island ) and I - quaffing Guinness all the way in to NYC in my Toyota Celica ) somehow found out about the show while in NYC and promptly drove over and got tickets just a few minutes before the show began . Don't remember the opening band but do recall the 2nd band was The Sports from Australia , then The Fall and lastly The Buzzcocks . Unforgettable night . Met Jimi Lalumia ( of Death To Disco fame ! ) in the elevator .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the guy from L.I. ( now living in Japan ) , owner of the previous post . Just downloaded the concert . Exc. recording and a blast from the past that sends shivers up my fragile spine ! Thanks so much for sharing ! Sayonara ...John

    ReplyDelete